In our Biology class we have studied our last topic of “Digestive System” that is diarrhoea and cholera. After watching a video about this topic we had to answer the following questions. I work with Juan Lutowicz.
1) Name signs/symptoms caused by cholera.
Diarrhoea, vomiting, weaknessies and getting dehydrated are the signs.
Feeling sick is the symptom.
2) State ways in which the bacterium spreads in the village.
The first way of how the bacterium spreads in the village is by the spreading of the river, through flies that transport the bacteria, throught dirty hands and throught food not washed.
3) What is diarrhoea?
Diarrhoea is when faeces are discharged from the body, usally in liquid form.
4) How does the cholera bacterium cause diarrhoea?
It produces a toxin that attaches to the wall of the small intestine and affects the villi and makes it secrete chloride. Which causes water from the blood to move into the lumen by the process of osmosis.
5) How did the boy treat his father?
The boy treated his father by filtrating and boiling water at 100ºC to kill the bacteria. Then he gave his father the pure water with half of a teaspoon of salt and 6 of sugar that contained all the minerals that he needed.
6) Name the different actions which the boy taught to the people in the village to prevent the disease.
The ways to prevent the diseaseare:
- Washing your hands before eating and cooking;
- By filtrating water;
- By boiling water to kill the bacteria; and
- By building toilets of at least 20 meters far of the river.